History of our Church
The Temple in the Peak
The building was built in 1816/1818 and designed in the Classical Revival Style. Originally a private chapel for the Eyre family of Hassop Hall, it is Grade 1 Listed: in fact, it is the only such church in the whole of the Diocese.
The church has an impressive Etruscan pillared portico, Grecian side windows, and Tuscan pilasters at the rear. However, the severe simplicity of the exterior belies the ornate decoration within. The coved and coffered ceiling resembles a barrel. The beautifully ornate altar is believed to be of French origin. In the gallery, the chamber organ by H. C. Lincoln dates from the 1820s.